Monday 10 October 2011

Making up for lost time

Things have been a bit sparse on the blog posting front and I apologize. I will try to make up for it by filling in the gaps with a few more posts ( and posting twice today!), also I am sick so I have a lot of time to sit with my computer.

So now that the wedding and honeymoon are over, we can get back to normal life. In the last while since returning from our honeymoon we have been focusing on getting our renovation back on track. I am not sure if I alluded to this in my other reno post, but part of the reason our basement project is taking so long is we had to fire our contractor. It is a long story of poor project management, inexperience and covering his tracks. Anyway, the long story ends with him being 'let go' and us missing a large huge sum of money and our basement only halfway done. This means we have become 'do it yourselfers'!

The first order of business is to address the half completed exterior of the house. Winter is coming and I have no desire to be working outside in the cold and dark. Not to mention the possible damage to the house if there is not siding on it.

Part of the problem is the windows. They were improperly installed and have to be taken out and redone. Then we need new siding, because there is none of the old siding left to cover the exposed parts. 


And the biggest barrier, apart from no money to pay someone to do the work, is the deck was put back together and is literally blocking us from doing work on some of the windows and siding. Blah!

The good news is we have help, people who took pity on us and are professionals who will guide us, and non-professionals who will help us with the labour. In the last week/weekend, we (PJ, carpenter, PJ's mum and I) removed the old siding, partially took apart the deck, and reinstalled the three windows on the back side of the house, and put up the tar paper in preparation for the new siding. I promise to get some pictures, but I couldn't be bothered because I have the flu and today is thanksgiving. I am pretty sure PJ took some in progress photos, that I can steal.

No comments:

Post a Comment